Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Of Tiktik and other Asuang Stories

Since we never had our "stockholders meeting" for the 3rd quarter, Geo, Anne and I decided to watch Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles just to see if it was good. Since it's from GMA, I have my reservations but somehow I want to give it a chance. There was a sale in Mega and we want to get away from the horde, so we went to Shang instead. The movie would be shown in the Premiere Cinema and it would be a first for me to watch it there, so I was a bit excited too. 


Sad to say, the movie was disappointing for me. The film was stylized and the art direction is okay, but poor acting, script and plot holes are too blatant to ignore. Product endorsements are quite tacky too. I was wondering what ever happened to Erik Matti. I don't want to make a review of it since I'm no film critique, but I have to say that the movie was not worth my 191 pesos.

To wash away the disappointment we had to fill up our tummies and of course we had to go to Dome.




Anne ordered coffee and their grilled veggie sandwich. I ordered three mushroom pasta and their pumpkin soup and Geo order carbonara (surprise!).




I discovered it last month when I had dinner with Dang and I loved it! The pumpkin has curry in it but it does not over power the taste. I am inspired to make one at home since it's really comforting to have a hot bowl. The pasta is good. Tasty but not too salty. They even have potato balls on top (I think). After we had our fill, we decided to walk around the mall. Eventually we had to have dessert and it was just convenient that La Creperie was there in front of us. 




I had a post of La Creperie before and I'm happy that the food is still good.



We realized that we never had a pic during our meetings so this would be our first.

After our sugar loading we decided talked about the movie and how sad it was. I can't let go of the fact that I had to waste money for Tiktik. It lead to our discussion on Philippine Speculative Fiction. Anne is a writer and she's been talking about it since our trip to Dumaguete. I'm interested but I haven't tried writing. I have a fear in organized writing since I might ran out of ideas, but this genre is really growing since local lore and mythology is something that is not thoroughly ventured out by writers. She already starter her research and I want to know more about it as well.

After the heart talk we went to national for Anne's postcard hunt. While looking around I saw this:


I was a bit reluctant to buy them since my scare with Tiktik, but I believe in second chances so I bought the two. Skyworld deals with Asuang and local mythology and I proud to say that it doesn't disappoint. The graphic novel is well drawn, but what I appreciated was the story and the manner it was told through the panels. I like how our History was affected by the actions of the Asuangs and the Gods. I sure wished this was the movie I watched instead. I finished the graphic novel a few hours after I arrived home. I will be lending this to Anne for her to read. I hope she likes it too. I want to have the courage to write stories in the future and this might be my first step. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...